Prince Philip funeral: Details confirmed for 17 April ceremony as Prince Harry will attend

Want the most up-to-date celebrity exclusives sent straight to your inbox every day? Sign up now and join the club!

The details of Prince Philip's funeral have been confirmed, with it being announced that Prince Harry will be in attendance.

Prince Harry, 36, will travel to the UK early next week in order to attend his grandfather's funeral following his sad death at the age of 99 on Friday.

The ceremony will take place next Saturday 17 April at 3pm at St George's Chapel, inside the grounds of Windsor Castle, where the Duke of Edinburgh passed away.

Harry is believed to be travelling solo to be part of the congregation, with his pregnant wife Meghan Markle being advised by doctors not to travel.

Whilst the service will be broadcast live, his widow, The Queen has approved his wishes to not have a state funeral, instead opting for a royal ceremonial funeral.

Prince Philip's coffin will be transported to St George's Chapel in a Land Rover which was designed with his help.

Members of the Royal Marines and air stations close to the Prince will be selected as pall bearers, with the coffin emerging from the state entrance of Windsor Castle at 2:40pm.


Those in the quadrangle will then be able to pay their respects, whilst members of the public are being asked to stay away due to the ongoing coronavirus restrictions.

According to ITV: "The duke's body will then be transported five minutes later to the West Steps via a procession which will take eight minutes, while the Curfew Tower bell tolls.

"The band of the Grenadier Guards and military chiefs will accompany the procession, to reflect the duke's close relationship with the services.

"Upon being received at the steps, Royal Marines will take the coffin from the Land Rover and carry it up the steps, backed by Household Cavalry pipers, pausing for a national minute’s silence at 3pm.

"Only the Royal Family and the duke’s private secretary will attend the ceremony inside the chapel, leaving others within the grounds to disperse in silence."

It was reported earlier this weekend that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were facing the prospect of a travel quarantine of at least five days if they returned to the UK, but could be able to get an exemption.

Harry is said to have spoken to members of his family, including father Princes Charles, Princess Eugenie and Princess Beatrice since the announcement of Philip's passing.

A source told The Mirror: "He said he wants to be with everyone and was already making arrangements to come home."

Meghan and Harry, who are expecting their second child together, took to the website of their non-profit organisation Archewell to share a note in honour of Prince Philip on Friday.

It read: "In loving memory of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh 1921-2021. Thank you for your service… You will be greatly missed."

Source: Read Full Article