Man Utd manager Erik ten Hag breaks silence on Mason Greenwood's attempted rape & assault charges being dropped | The Sun
MANCHESTER United boss Erik ten Hag has broken his silence about Mason Greenwood.
The Red Devils' gaffer said he has "nothing" to add after the striker, 21, was cleared of all charges, adding: "I can't say anything about it."
He also refused to say whether he had spoken with or met Greenwood, or if he would be part of the club's own probe into the situation.
Ten Hag told a press conference: "As I said, in this moment, I can't give comment about the process.
"I can't say anything about it, I refer to the statement of the club and at this moment I can't add anything."
And asked if yesterday's news affected the squad ahead of its match tomorrow, he said: "We have always to focus on the game. That's our job. That's why we are here."
Greenwood had all charges of attempted rape, assault and coercive control against him dropped yesterday.
Greenwood said he was “relieved” yesterday after all criminal charges against him — including attempted rape — were dropped by prosecutors.
The Man United star was informed that the Crown Prosecution Service had also withdrawn charges of actual bodily harm and coercive or controlling behaviour.
The move came after 12 witnesses — including the woman at the centre of the allegations — refused to co-operate.
Most read in Football
Angry fans say Greenwood shouldn't play for Man U again after charges dropped
Mason Greenwood told stay away from Man U until club conducts own investigation
Gary Neville sparks Twitter storm after liking tweet about Mason Greenwood
Mason Greenwood breaks his silence after attempted rape charges dropped
Striker Greenwood, 21, said: “I am relieved that this matter is over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support.”
But United bosses announced the club is now conducting its own probe into his behaviour surrounding the claims — which surfaced online in January 2022.
Greenwood — who the club suspended following his arrest — will be unable to train or play for the Red Devils for the duration of the season.
A spokesman said: “The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps.
"We will not make any further comment until that process is complete.”
Last night dozens of United fans urged the club to get rid of Greenwood — who is on a £75,000-a-week contract.
Others said they should stick by him as he had not been convicted of any crime.
He was arrested in January 2022 after harrowing images were posted on social media, along with video and audio footage, suggesting he had been physically abusive towards a woman.
He was charged last October and had been due to stand trial this November.
The charges came despite the alleged victim telling cops in April 2022 she no longer wanted him prosecuted and would not give evidence in court.
Police continued the case as they regarded her as a “vulnerable victim”.
Last Friday The Sun told the CPS that we understood it was struggling to build a case.
It confirmed our information at 2pm yesterday, when the end of proceedings was announced.
A CPS spokesman said: “A combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction.
"We have explained our decision to all parties.
“We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met.”
Greenwood has made 129 United appearances, scoring 35 goals and has one England cap.
Read More on The Sun
New C4 show will take on Big Brother by plunging Brits into Australian outback
You could be slapped with £300 fine for giving your mates a lift – here’s how
He last played on January 22 last year against West Ham.
Prior to his arrest, he was valued at around £50million and regarded as one of European football’s hottest young talents.
Source: Read Full Article