Steve Cohen provides update on Mets’ free-agency chase

More On:

new york mets

Ex-Mets fave takes analytic route to managing job

Steve Cohen talks ownership style, free agent spending and Mets memories to The Post

Steve Cohen can’t wait for 2021: ‘Bring on Mets baseball’

Steve Cohen’s message for Mets fans wanting to sign ‘everybody’

The lack of activity this offseason seems likely to continue at least a little bit longer — at least according to Steve Cohen.

The new Mets owner wrote on Twitter on Sunday, “Not much going [on] out there due to the holidays. Conversations hopefully pick up this week.”

The Mets have been among the more active teams in free agency, signing catcher James McCann to a four-year, $40.6 million deal, the largest contract handed out this winter.

They also brought in right-hander Trevor May on a two-year, $15.5 million deal to bolster the bullpen.

Meanwhile, the biggest free-agent targets remain available, including the big four of J.T. Realmuto, Trevor Bauer, George Springer and DJ LeMahieu.

The Mets figure to be in play on at least one of those players, with Springer potentially the best fit to play center field in Queens. They’re also among the teams interested in Japanese right-hander Tomoyuki Sugano, who was posted by the Yomiuri Giants earlier this month and has until Jan. 7 to sign a major league deal.

LeMahieu remains the Yankees’ top priority, but the two sides have not been able to reach an agreement. LeMahieu could also fill a role with the Mets, especially in the wake of Robinson Cano’s 162-game suspension after being busted for using performance-enhancing drugs for a second time — a ban that will save the Mets over $20 million in 2021.

In a Q&A with The Post’s Steve Serby, Cohen said he was unsure whether the team would stay under the $210 million luxury-tax threshold this season.

“I think at some point we will [exceed it], but maybe not this season,’’ Cohen said. “I’m not afraid to go over it, but you want to have flexibility on our payroll. Long-term contracts can limit a team’s ability going forward.’’

As for Cano, the 38-year-old was due to make his Dominican Winter League season debut Sunday with Estrellas Orientales.

Cano will still be under contract for two years and $48 million following his suspension.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article