Nightstalker victims could have been treble the reported number

Daily Star TV gives you all the latest interviews and spoilers and Ed Gleave will send you telly’s hot takes straight to your inbox every Sunday

Serial rapist Delroy Grant, who terrorised elderly women in south east London for 17 years, was finally arrested on November 15 2009.

Delroy’s horrendous crimes had gone undetected for almost two decades, but he was eventually linked to a string of burglaries, rapes and sexual assaults of elderly people between October 1992 and May 2009.

Grant’s crimes finally came to light after a lengthy police investigation, which is being brought to light in new ITV drama Manhunt: The Nightstalker.

The four-part series follows the real lief story of DCI Colin Sutton’s pursuit of the notorious serial rapist.

Ahead of the new drama series, starring Martin Clunes as the police detective, we take a look at how many victims he had.

How many victims did the Night Stalker have?

Delroy Grant was arrested on Sunday, November 15 2009.

The 52-year-old man was arrested for more than 100 sexual offences in the south London area.

However, police offers believed the actual number could be as many as 600.

Speaking at the time, Detective Chief Inspector Colin Sutton, from the Metropolitan Police, said: "Officially we have looked at 203 offences but my guess would be you could probably double or treble that number."

His victims were mostly women, although 10 were men, aged between 68 and 93. Many of these were in poor health, and suffered from either mental health issues or arthritis.

The attacker would break into his victims’ homes, disconnect their electricity and phone lines before sexually assaulting or raping them.

According to accounts given by his victims, he was frighteningly unpredictable. He was known to either be incredibly violent, gently kiss victims, or sometimes would leave without assaulting them at all.

Before carrying out brutal attacks, he was known to speak softly to them, almost in a whisper.

At the time police said he had been responsible for some of the most “awful and disturbing crimes” in Scotland Yard’s history.

Officers had been hunting the Night Stalker under Operation Minstead since 1998 after two rapes had been linked to the same attacker.

Grant would attack elderly women who lived alone. He would break into their homes and disable the phone and electricity to make them even more vulnerable,

Grant was sentenced to serve at least 27 years of four life terms in prison for 29 different charges of burglary, indecent assault and rape after being found guilty.

Judge Peter Rook QC told him: “Your utter depravity knows no bounds.

“You will only be released if the parole board considers it safe to do so.

"I have no doubt you are a very dangerous man capable of committing heinous crimes and causing incalculable harm to people.

“Your offending is in a league of its own.”

Manhunt: The Night Stalker will air from Monday, September 20

  • ITV
  • Delroy Grant

Source: Read Full Article