Footballer who left girlfriend with broken jaw given ‘second chance’ by new club

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

A footballer who battered his girlfriend with an iron bar and made her lick paint has been given “a second chance” by a club.

Reece Thompson, who played for York City, Boston United and Guiseley AFC, was convicted of assault and grievous bodily harm and jailed for 40 months in April 2019.

The 26-year-old carried out a horrifying campaign of domestic abuse against Danielle Thomas, who suffered a broken jaw and severe bruising during the attacks between 2016 and 2017.

Thompson was released nine months into his 40-month sentence earlier this year.

He was recalled just a month into his release after giving an interview to The Sun and posting tweets about his crimes.

Thompson asked if there were any club “needing a few goals banging in”.

He was eventually taken on trial by Northern Counties East League Division One club Selby Town.

The club later said he would not be joining following a backlash after a game against Tadcaster in August this year.

However, Selby Town have changed their position again – saying they are not placed to “further punish” Thompson.

  • Meghan Markle's lawyers blast 'inaccurate' bombshell book Finding Freedom

A Selby Town spokesperson said: "During pre-season, we trialled a player by the name of Reece Thompson. At the time many supporters and non-supporters expressed their opinion on the trial due to the events and court proceedings in Reece’s past.

"Following this trial we released a statement stating that Reece would not be joining our team on an ongoing basis.

"Since then a great deal of discussion has taken place within the club, and with Reece himself as to his actions, his sentence, and what comes next for him.

"As made clear in our original statement, the club does not condone Reece’s actions and we can only imagine the impact upon those involved. For what he has done, Reece has rightly been judged in a court of law and served his sentence.

  • Sex for 'established' couples finally allowed – but casual romps still banned

"With that sentence now served and with the ongoing work Reece carries out to understand and learn from his behaviour, we have come to the conclusion that it is not our place to continue to further punish Reece for his actions, he has received his punishment and carried out his sentence, and with that in mind, we believe that a second chance could and should be provided both in employment and in recreation.

"Further to this, we believe that being part of our club and being surrounded by the strong management team we have in place can further help Reece to overcome his past and to ensure that he learns from his actions and is able to fulfil a role within society.

"We understand there will be many that disagree with our stance, likewise there will be those who believe he has served his sentence and should be allowed to now carry on with life.

"We hope going forward Reece will be judged on his actions from this point with his knowledge that the expectations and standard of behaviour expected of him are high."

  • People with 'silent Covid' carry just as much virus and are 'driving the spread'

Ms Thomas earlier described her abuse and how she feared for her life.

She told Lincolnshire Live : "He hit me with an iron bar, broke my jaw and smashed a mirror over my head.

"I was made to lick paint up off the floor and then he smashed another mirror over my head.

"It was when he picked up the second mirror that I thought I was going to die, I screamed for him to stop or he would kill me.

“He told me to get my arms down and take the beating like a real person."

  • Crime

Source: Read Full Article