Grim takeaway with mice and roach infestation sold coleslaw 95 days out of date

A takeaway boss was hit with a £12,000 fine after a "horrendous" mice and cockroach infestation was discovered, alongside coleslaw on sale to customers despite being almost 100 days out of date.

After shocked council officers visited Latif's takeaway in Stretford, Manchester, it was immediately shut "due to the risk to public health" and the business was given a hygiene rating of 0 out of 5.

The boss, Umar Latif, was then charged and summoned to appear in court, the Manchester Evening News reported.

Officers visited Latif's takeaway on Stretford Road, Old Trafford, on January 30, 2020, and immediately found mouse droppings throughout the premises.

As well as this, they found a German cockroach infestation by the service counter, Trafford Council said in a statement.

The takeaway and 'food contact equipment' were dirty. Officers also discovered staff had no food hygiene training.

There were several containers of coleslaw for sale which were 95 days past their use-by date.

Officers visited the premises, run by Umar Latif, on several occasions before the business was allowed to re-open.

Returning to the business on August 18, 2020, they discovered that the premises were dirty and food safety management protocols were not being implemented.

Another visit on September 22, 2020, found similar issues. It was then that Umar was charged and summoned to appear in court.

For the latest breaking news stories and incredible tales from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

  • Horror as man finds enormous spider the size of hand breeding under his bed

Mr Latif, former director of S Dean & Co Limited, which ran the Latif’s takeaway, pleaded guilty to 10 food hygiene offences at Manchester Magistrates' Court on Friday (October 8), the council said.

He was fined £12,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,500 to Trafford council.

Councillor Stephen Adshead, executive member for environment, air quality and climate change, said: "The conditions found in the takeaway by our officers were unacceptable and we will do everything we can to prevent cases like this.

"Our residents put their trust into food businesses to operate in a safe manner and we will always take swift action where a risk to public health is found.

"This prosecution shows that we take these matters very seriously and we will continue to do so in the future."

Source: Read Full Article