Kate Middleton and Prince William accused of breaking Covid restrictions on tour

Kate Middleton and Prince William have been accused of breaking Covid Tier restrictions in Scotland while on their Royal tour.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visited Edinburgh on December 7 during the first engagement of their 1,250-mile festive trip.

Prince William and Kate met ambulance staff in Newbridge before pupils at Holy Trinity First School were treated with a visit from three reindeer.

Kate and Prince William were greeted with cheers during the trip, but have received backlash online from NHS officials and members of the public who have said the visit should not have been allowed.

Under current Scottish regulations, it is illegal to travel between England and Scotland unless there is a reasonable excuse.

Dr Katrian Farrell, a haemotologist at NHS Forth Valley, tweeted: "I absolutely do not understand why the #RoyalTrainTour is being allowed in Edinburgh.

"Edinburgh is in tier 3. No non essential travel into or out of region."

Responding to an image of Kate and William waving to crowds, a Twitter user said: "So restrictions don’t apply to them then?

"P*** off back to London We can’t visit our friends or family yet these two out of touch idiots are travelling all over the country. F this PR disaster.

"What Was supposed to unite us it has backfired big style HUGE!!"

A second added: “How has this been allowed? Isn’t Edinburgh in Tier 3? One rule for them another for us!"

Slamming the trip, a third said: "My cousin died last week.

"I can’t go to Barrhead to visit my family to grieve. I can’t travel 10 miles to visit my daughter. I won’t see my elderly in-laws in Yorkshire this Xmas.

"But it’s ok for this pair of scroungers to go on a wee holiday at our expense?"

  • Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'to launch own awards rivalling Queen's honours list'

During her daily Covid briefing, Nicola Sturgeon was asked about claims Kate and William's visit to Edinburgh was in breach of cross-border restrictions.

She said the Scottish Government was advised about the couple's intention to visit, and made sure the royal household was aware restrictions were in place.

Ms Sturgeon said: "The royal visit is a matter for the royal household and the arrangements around it, and any questions about those arrangements should be directed to the royal household.

"The Scottish Government was advised about the intention to visit, and we made sure that the royal household were aware, as you would expect, of all of the restrictions in place in Scotland, so that could inform both the decision and the planning of the visit.

"But I think any questions about that should be directed to the royal household."

Daily Star Online has approached representatives of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge for comment.

Source: Read Full Article