Last surviving member of ISIS terror cell that killed 130 in Paris in 2015 admits lying that his suicide bomb had failed to detonate because he was ‘afraid of the looks from the other jihadists’
- Salah Abdeslam told a court hearing he ‘didn’t want to die’ and felt ‘ashamed’
- Abdeslam, 32, chose not to detonate his suicide bomb, but lied and said it broke
- ‘I abandoned my trigger belt… I just didn’t want to’, he told a French court today
- Abdeslam ‘dropped brother Brahim off’ at the Bataclan, where Brahim shot at dozens before detonating in a crowded restaurant. A nurse tried to save him
The last surviving member of the ISIS terror cell which killed 130 people in the November, 2015 Paris attacks claims he didn’t detonate his suicide vest not out of ‘fear’ but because he ‘didn’t want to’.
Salah Abdeslam, 32, is on trial for his part in the Friday 13 attacks and faces multiple life sentences for charges of murder, attempted murder and hostage taking.
The legal proceedings represent the biggest trial in French history and are expected to conclude in the summer.
Abdeslam courted outrage when he accused the court of trying to ‘make an example’ of him
Abdeslam fled to Brussels after the Paris attacks. He was finally caught in March 2016
Abdeslam allegedly dropped brother Brahim at the Bataclan, where he shot dozens of people before blowing himself up.
He is also accused of ferrying three terrorists to the Stade de France, where one died.
Abdeslam told a French court today: ‘I didn’t go all the way. I abandoned triggering my belt, not out of cowardice, not out of fear, but I just didn’t want to.
Salah Abdeslam, 32, is facing multiple life sentences for charges including murder, attempted murder and hostage taking
‘I was ashamed of not going all the way. I was afraid of the looks from the other jihadists. I was 25 years old.
‘There you go, it’s that I was ashamed, as simple as that.’
The defendant sat in silence for two hours before answering questions put to him by lawyers for the prosecutors and plaintiffs.
He caused outrage last month by claiming he ‘didn’t kill or wound anyone’ and said he was just being ‘made an example of’.
Abdeslam said last month: ‘In the future, when someone gets into an underground train or a bus with a suitcase stuffed with 50 kilogrammes of explosives, and at the last minute decides “I’m not doing this,” he will know that he can’t, because otherwise he will be locked away or killed.’
After surviving the attack, Abdeslam fled to the Molenbeek district of Brussels where he grew up, but was captured in March 2016.
Abdeslam’s escort car arriving at the Palace of Justice last month, where testimony resumed
Alongside Abdeslam, co-defendants are answering charges including providing logistical support, planning the attacks and supplying weapons.
Days after Abdeslam’s arrest in March 2016 – which followed a four-month manhunt that ended in a shootout in Brussels – suicide bombers alleged to be part of the same cell struck at Brussels airport and on the city Metro, killing 32 and injuring hundreds.
Abdeslam has already been sentenced in Brussels to 20 years in prison for the shootout that accompanied his arrest.
Source: Read Full Article