Met Police investigate Wayne Couzens' 30 years of locations in probe

EXCLUSIVE: Met Police will track back over 30 years of cold cases with a detailed timeline showing where Wayne Couzens was EVERY DAY to see if Sarah Everard’s killer can be linked to any of them

  • Detectives are drawing up timelines to see if Couzens is connected to crimes
  • The research will establish dates and locations for him over the past 30 years
  • Nature of his appalling crimes against Sarah Everard have prompted probe

Detectives investigating whether killer cop Wayne Couzens has committed any further offences in his past are looking as far back as 30 years into his history – and seeing if his movements match any unsolved cases.

Officers from his old Metropolitan Police force are understood to be compiling timelines of the rapist murderer’s activities over the past three decades.

MailOnline has learned detailed charts will show dates Couzens, 48, was at different locations and analysis will be done as to whether they correspond with relevant unsolved cases in those areas.

It means the killer’s time with the Territorial Army, Kent Police and Dungeness Nuclear Power plant will all come under renewed scrutiny.

Couzens will never be freed from prison after he was sentenced to a whole life order for kidnapping, murdering and raping Sarah Everard. 

A source told MailOnline: ‘The Met police are going to be drawing up timelines to try and establish if he was anywhere relevant to any cold cases.

‘If he has done anything else, they will find it and bring him to justice. 

‘They are going to go back as far as 30 years and work out as far as they can everywhere he has been. If he has done anything, they will find out.’ 

Couzens time in the Territorial Army – seen here in 2002 – will be looked at closely

His time in the Civil Nuclear Constabulary, shown in 2012, will be put under the spotlight

Couzens seen here in 2006 with his wife Olena, who silently watched in on his sentencing

Currently it is known that Kent Police do not believe he is connected to any further cases in its force area.

But Couzens is known to have committed an indecent exposure, driving round naked from the waist down in his car, when he served with them in 2015.

He has also been identified as being responsible for carrying out the same offence at a McDonald’s restaurant days before he targeted Miss Everard.

On March 3 he dressed in his Met Police uniform and staged a fake arrest as she walked home from her friend’s house in Clapham, south London.

Couzens handcuffed her and put her in the back seat of his car before driving 80 miles to Kent where he raped and murdered her.

Days later he bought petrol and burned her body before attempting to hide her remains in woods near land he owned.

The fact he was confident enough to drive so far after snatching her has led criminologists to conclude he must have carried out similar crimes before.

And it is feared he may have targeted prostitutes or homeless people, whose disappearance may not have been picked up immediately.

The Met said after his Old Bailey sentencing on Thursday that there was nothing to suggest so far his connection to any crimes as serious as Miss Everard’s killing.

Quizzed by police, Couzens (pictured in handcuffs) lied that he had been ‘leant on’ by an Eastern European gang who threatened to harm his family if he did not agree to pick up a woman

Couzens will die in jail after being sentenced to a rare whole life order for his evil crimes

CCTV of Wayne Couzens making a purchase at the checkout in a branch of B&Q in Dover, Kent.

Today it would not be drawn on how it would be looking into Couzens’s past.

A spokeswoman provided the same statement, urging any potential victims to come forward.

She said: ‘As you would expect we continue to make enquiries to establish whether he has been involved in other criminal offences.

‘As these investigations are ongoing we are unable to go into further detail although, at this time, we have not identified anything that is of the same level of seriousness as the crimes he has been sentenced for.

‘We are keen to hear from anyone who may have information about any criminality they believe Couzens was involved in.’

Born in Dover, Kent, in 1972, Couzens was the eldest of two boys, whose father ran a body shop and garage.

The brothers joined their father’s business after leaving school, with a former receptionist at the garage describing Couzens as  kind, thoughtful and charming

She said earlier in the year: ‘There was no sign he could be like that. Wayne was lovely to work with. He was a really nice chap. He was thoughtful and friendly and got on with his work.

‘I was the only lady who worked there because it was a garage, but he was always polite and respectful towards me. When he was arrested for the poor girl’s murder I was completely shocked. 

Her husband agreed and said Couzens actions in killing Sarah were a ‘mystery’.  

After his time in his father’s garage, he became a police officer, though he first served as a volunteer Special Sergeant between 2005 and 2009. 

He was an army reservist for two years before, in 2011, finally being accepted by the Civil Nuclear Constabulary an armed police force tasked with guarding the country’s atomic power network.

Couzens went through firearms training before being posted to the Sellafield reprocessing site in Cumbria, where he spent eight months. 

He then transferred to the Dungeness Nuclear Power station close to home in Kent and, after seven years of service without any issues, he transferred to the Met. 

But after seven years of unblemished service with the force he applied for a transfer to the Metropolitan Police.

There he served at on the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Group due to his qualifications as a trained firearms officer.

How events in the Sarah Everard case unfolded

  • 2015: Kent Police allegedly fail to investigate an indecent exposure incident linked to Wayne Couzens.
  • September 2018: Couzens transfers to the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS), from the Civil Nuclear Constabulary (CNC).
  • 2019: Couzens and his wife buy a small area of woodland off Fridd Lane in Ashford, Kent.
  • February 2019: The Pc joins a response team covering the Bromley area of south London, having initially served in a Safer Neighbourhood Team.
  • February 2020: He moves to the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command to patrol diplomatic premises, mainly embassies.
  • February 2021: The 48-year-old is linked to two allegations of indecent exposure in London, which it is claimed Scotland Yard failed to investigate.
  • February 28: Couzens books a white Vauxhall Astra from a car hire firm in Dover, Kent, using his personal details and bank card. He also purchases a roll of self-adhesive film advertised as a carpet protector on Amazon.
  • March 2: 7pm – Couzens starts a 12-hour shift at his base in West Brompton, west London.
  • March 3: On the day of her disappearance, Sarah Everard visits a friend in the Clapham Junction area and uses her bank card to buy a bottle of wine in Sainsbury’s in Brixton Hill, south London, on her way.
  • 4.45pm – Couzens collects the hire car.
  • 9pm – Ms Everard leaves to walk home, some 2.5 miles away.
  • 9.13pm – She calls her boyfriend for a little over 14 minutes.
  • 9.15pm – Ms Everard is captured alone on CCTV at the junction of Bowood Road and the South Circular.
  • 9.28pm – The next sighting is on Cavendish Road and she is still alone.
  • 9.32pm – Ms Everard is caught on the camera on a marked police car.
  • 9.35pm – A bus camera captures two figures on Poynders Road standing beside a white Vauxhall Astra parked on the pavement with hazard lights flashing.
  • 9.38pm – Another bus camera captures the same vehicle with the two front car doors open.
  • – March 4: 1am – Having travelled out of London, the car is in the Tilmanstone area of Kent.
  • 8.30am – Couzens returns the hire car used in the abduction.
  • 8.10pm – Ms Everard is reported missing by her boyfriend, Josh Lowth.
  • March 5: The case is escalated and the Specialist Crime Unit becomes involved. Couzens, who is due to be off until March 8, reports to work that he is suffering with stress.
  • 2pm – He buys two green rubble bags for £9.94 at B&Q in Dover.
  • March 6: Couzens emails his supervisor that he no longer wants to carry a firearm. He orders a tarpaulin and a bungee cargo net on Amazon which are shipped to him the next day.
  • March 8: The officer reports in sick on the day he is due to return to work.
  • March 9: 7.11pm – Couzens’ phone is wiped of all data.
  • 7.50pm – Couzens is arrested at his home in Deal, Kent. In a brief interview, he tells a story about being threatened by an Eastern European gang.
  • March 10: At around 4.45pm, a body is discovered in a wooded area in Ashford, Kent, and later formally identified by dental records. It is around 100 metres from land owned by Couzens.
  • March 11: Couzens answers “no comment” in formal interviews.
  • March 12: 8.45pm: Couzens is charged.
  • July 9: Couzens pleads guilty to murder when he appears at the Old Bailey by video link from Belmarsh high security jail. 
  • September 29: Couzens faces a possible whole life order when he is sentenced.


Source: Read Full Article