EXECUTIVE orders are one of the most common modern presidential documents.
Biden was sworn in as the 46th US President on January 20, and promised to reverse 17 policies from the outgoing president, including the controversial Muslim Ban.
What is an executive order?
By definition, an executive order is "a means of issuing federal directives in the United States, used by the President of the United States, that manages operations of the federal government."
As executive orders are not legislation, they require no approval from congress, but congress cannot simply overturn them.
Executive orders, issued by the White House,state mandatory requirements for the executive branch.
They are numbered consecutively, so executive orders may be referenced by their assigned number, or their topic.
Every American president has issued at least one, totaling more than 13,731 since George Washington took office in 1789, according to the American Bar Association.
Did Biden reverse Trump's executive orders?
Biden has signed 17 executive orders on his first day in office in an effort to reverse several policies put in place by Donald Trump.
Now that Trump has left office, Biden will take on the onus of "ending his predecessor's 'Muslim Travel Ban'" and rejoining the Paris agreement.
During his first full week in office, the president will reportedly focus on "Buy American," with an executive order to come that will toughen requirements for government purchases of goods and services from US companies.
Biden executive order list includes:
- Imposing a mask mandate on federal property
- Rejoin the World Health Organization
- Hiring a coronavirus response coordinator to organize a unified national response to Covid
- Extend Eviction and Foreclosure Moratoriums
- Extend Student Loan Pause
- Rejoin the Paris Agreement on Climate Change
- Roll back Trump’s Environmental Actions in order to protect public health and the environment and restore science
- Launch a whole-of-government initiative to advance racial equity
- Reverse Trump’s executive order excluding undocumented immigrants from the reapportionment count
- Preserve and fortify protections for Dreamers
- Reverse the Muslim Ban
- Repeal of Trump interior enforcement executive order
- Stop border wall construction
- Deferred enforced departure for Liberians presidential memorandum
- Preventing and combating discrimination on the basis of gender identity or sexual orientation
- Executive branch personnel ethics executive order
How will Biden's executive order tackle Covid?
During his first day in office, Biden is expected to ask Americans to wear masks for his first 100 days in office.
He said in December, he believes there would be a "significant reduction" in Covid-19 cases if every American wore a face covering.
"The first day I'm inaugurated to say I'm going to ask the public for 100 days to mask. Just 100 days to mask, not forever. One hundred days.
"And I think we'll see a significant reduction if we occur that, if that occurs with vaccinations and masking to drive down the numbers considerably."
Source: Read Full Article