Who was Casey Goodson? Black man shot and killed in Ohio by deputy

A black man was fatally shot by a deputy in Ohio while carrying sandwiches he purchased for his family.

The shooting of Casey Goodson in Columbus on December 4 has been ruled a homicide by the coroner.

What happened to Casey Goodson?

Goodson was a 23-year-old man who was killed following a confrontation with Deputy Jason Meade of the Franklin County Sheriff's Office.

Police say Goodson was holding a gun that was later recovered from the scene; Goodson's family says he was holding a Subway sandwich when he was shot.

He was killed in the doorway of his grandmother’s house as he walked through the front door, according to his family.

US Marshal Peter Tobin said that on the day of the shooting, Meade confronted Goodson outside his home.

Meade, a 17-year veteran of the Sheriff’s Office, had been assigned to a US Marshals Office task force, which was searching for a fugitive.

The task force had just finished an unsuccessful search when Goodson, who was not a target of the search, drove by and waved a gun at Meade, according to Tobin.

One witness heard Meade command Goodson to drop his weapon, and when he didn’t, the deputy shot him, according to Tobin.

Goodson died from his wounds at a nearby hospital.

He was shot after he unlocked and opened the front door, according to his mother Tamala Payne.

“My 5-year-old called me screaming, ‘Mommy, mommy, Casey just got shot. The police just shot Casey, he’s laying on the floor, mommy, he’s dead, please hurry up, come get me, come get me, I’m scared,’” Payne said.

Goodson had a concealed weapon permit and had hoped to become a firearms instructor, according to his mother and a family lawyer.

How many times was Goodson shot?

Two callers to 911 reported hearing multiple gunshots that day.

“Four shots fired from what sounded like an automatic weapon,” one caller said.

An investigation into the shooting is ongoing.

What did the coroner say?

Preliminary autopsy results showed Goodson died from multiple gunshot wounds in his torso.

Final results are not expected for at least three months.

Franklin County Coroner Dr Anahi Ortiz listed the cause of death as homicide, a medical determination used in cases where someone has died at someone else's hand, but is not a legal finding and doesn't imply criminal intent.

Police have only said that the deputy “shot” Goodson without saying how many shots were fired.

What is Goodson's family saying?

Goodson's mother Tamala Payne said she wants the deputy involved to be jailed and said she’ll never be able to hold her son again, except “at his damn funeral.”

“I want answers. I deserve answers. I demand answers at this point,” Payne told The Associated Press.

She said her son had gone to the dentist that morning, and then returned with sandwiches for himself, his 5-year-old brother and his grandmother.

There are conflicting accounts about Goodson's death, according to Chandra Brown, a lawyer representing Goodson’s family.

“It is concerning that they’ve had the body for this long and they still cannot confirm the entrance or exit wounds of the gunshots,” Brown said Wednesday.

“It seems intentionally vague and we’re looking forward to getting the official autopsy report when that is released.”

Source: Read Full Article