Iran: MPs chant in Parliament after passing nuclear bill
The nation’s foreign ministry spokesman, Saeed Khatibzadeh, spoke following unconfirmed reports of an Israeli submarine crossing the Suez Canal and heading for the Gulf. It also comes a week after the US Navy announced the deployment of nuclear submarine USS Georgia to the region, which passed through the Strait of Hormuz in a show of strength.
The strait is the only sea passage connecting the Persian Gulf to the open ocean, making it one of the world’s most strategically important choke points.
According to Agence France-Presse, on Monday, Mr Khatibzade told reporters: “Everyone knows what the Persian Gulf signifies for Iran.
“Everyone knows the policies [of Tehran] regarding security and national security.
“Everyone knows very well how high the risk is raised if the red lines of Iran are crossed.”
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Tehran believes Israel is responsible for the assassination of nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh last month, among other operations.
Long-standing tensions between Washington and Tehran intensified in 2018 when President Trump withdrew from the Iran nuclear deal.
Mr Trump accused Iran of being involved in a rocket attack on the US embassy in Baghdad last week ahead of the first anniversary of the assassination of Qasem Soleimani, one of the nation’s leading military commanders.
Soleimani was killed by a Donald Trump ordered airstrike on January 3 at around 1am in Baghdad, Iraq.
The Pentagon said the mission was “aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans”.
Mr Khatibzadeh added: “We have sent messages to the US government and our friends in the region (warning) the current US regime not to embark on a new adventure in its final days at the White House.”
On Friday, as reported by Tasnim News, Brigadier General Mohammad Hejazi, deputy chief of the IRGC Quds Force, said Iran plans a “harsh revenge” for Soleimani’s killing.
General Hejazi, echoing Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said retaliatory missile attacks on the US military base of Ain al-Assad, Iraq were “slaps” in the face.
These strikes left more than 100 US troops with traumatic brain injuries.
Iran builds a secretive underground nuclear facility – PICTURES [SPOTLIGHT]
Iran threat: Tehran’s missile programme is NOT negotiable [INSIGHT]
Iran threat: UK face tough ‘balancing act’ to protect vessels in Gulf [REVEAL]
Khamenei, who this month met with Soleimani’s family, said: “Those who ordered the murder of General Soleimani as well as those who carried this out should be punished.
“This revenge will certainly happen at the right time.”
Mr Trump spoke of the rocket attacks on the US embassy in Baghdad on Twitter.
He claimed: “Our embassy in Baghdad got hit Sunday by several rockets.
“Guess where they came from: IRAN.
“Now we hear chatter about additional attacks against Americans in Iraq … Some friendly health advice to Iran: If one American is killed, I will hold Iran responsible. Think it over.”
An Iraqi military statement said an “an outlawed group” was behind the attack.
The US withdrew staff from the Baghdad embassy earlier this month ahead of the first anniversary of the Soleimani airstrike in a precautionary move.
Source: Read Full Article